Questions Regarding Original RT Side Exhaust Header

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Fordlandia

Questions Regarding Original RT Side Exhaust Header

Post by Fordlandia » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:01 pm

While "restoring" a set of original Tiger cast iron exhaust headers, I did some research regarding the "unique" to the Tiger right side original header. At some point (apparently) during the prototype development of the Tiger, it became apparent that the existing right side (U.S. passenger side) SBF header (standard to the 260-V8 and 289 Ford vehicles) would not work for the Tiger.

I have some questions regarding this "Tiger only" header for members of the STC in the UK. After all, going to the "source" is usually the best approach. Admittedly, it is just my curiosity that resulted in this message. However, I'm thinking a few other owners might enjoy a bit of Tiger trivia.

1. Did Ford Motor Company do the sourcing for this unique design, or was it Rootes?

2. The header has a "DarCast" logo and non-Ford part number 1981004 on one side of the header (see photo). It also has another number: a small "1" followed by "DA 2120" and what may be a very faint "B" (?). Can someone clarify those designations?

3. The headers were cast in the mid-60's. Where was the DarCast foundry located? I find references to various "DarCast" companies (eg. DarCast Crankshaft Company) but nothing definitive as to the 1960's foundry location.

4. So, here's a real trivia question: Did Ford ship the engines to Rootes (A) with the standard right side exhaust, which was replaced by Rootes with the DarCast manifold, (B) without any right side manifold knowing Rootes would install the unique manifold, or (C) did DarCast ship the manifolds to Ford in the U.S. for installation before the engines shipped (seems unlikely).

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI USA

20240628_183518.jpg small.jpg
20240628_183518.jpg small.jpg (150.09 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

gvickery
Site Admin

Re: Questions Regarding Original RT Side Exhaust Header

Post by gvickery » Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:02 pm

Partial answers follows:

1. Did Ford Motor Company do the sourcing for this unique design, or was it Rootes?:

No, Rootes sourced the RH manifold from an external supplier, using modified Ford Inc drawings

2. The header has a "DarCast" logo and non-Ford part number 1981004 on one side of the header (see photo). It also has another number: a small "1" followed by "DA 2120" and what may be a very faint "B" (?). Can someone clarify those designations?

1981004 is a 'Rough Part Number', meaning the external supplier part number. This number is referenced on Rootes Engineering Drawing 1224644 "Manifold RH - Exhaust" .

3. The headers were cast in the mid-60's. Where was the DarCast foundry located? I find references to various "DarCast" companies (eg. DarCast Crankshaft Company) but nothing definitive as to the 1960's foundry location.

Undoubtedly a UK based foundry contracting with Rootes Motors - but businesses and brand names change over the years.

4. So, here's a real trivia question: Did Ford ship the engines to Rootes (A) with the standard right side exhaust, which was replaced by Rootes with the DarCast manifold, (B) without any right side manifold knowing Rootes would install the unique manifold, or (C) did DarCast ship the manifolds to Ford in the U.S. for installation before the engines shipped (seems unlikely).

Ford Industrial Delivery Instructions stated: "Delete: C40E-9428-A ASSY -EXHAUST MANIFOLD RH"